Saturday, July 2, 2011

Alive

Today's prompt for the 30 Day Blogging Challenge on writing.com:  Ponder the spectre of yourself as one human being in the over six billion people on Earth.  We are so minute as to be nonexistent. And yet, we have the power to visualize, to imagine the entirety of the cosmos.  In your journal, write about the paradox of being both microscopic and immense.

I am but one of billions of people.  I am but one of trillions of objects in the universe.  I am trivial, inconsequential, insignificant.

Small as I am, I think.  I feel.  I dream.  Billions of thoughts pass through my mind, some trivial, some profound.  My emotions are a tide, rising and falling with awesome crests and ominous valleys as I ride.  My dreams create worlds of fantasy and fear, characters of beauty and bleakness, plots of suspense and sensuality.

There is a spark in me.  There is flare that gleams with the power of creation.  It flows through me and out of my fingers like the nozzle of a rocket.  Sometimes it's wrong and devours itself in a conflagration of confusion.  Sometimes it's right and soars, carrying me along with it.

I am both passenger and vessel, fueled by something bigger than myself yet contained within me.  I am small and large, negligible and vital.

I am alive.

Copyright © 2011 Denise Duggan

2 comments:

Thanks for taking the time to comment.