Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Communications: Mind to Heart

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point
The heart has its reasons that reason knows nothing of.


Boy, ain't that the truth!


King Charming and I are the proof of this all the time.  When he speaks it's with reason.  When he hears, it's with reason.  When I speak and hear it's with the heart.  He is so logical and I am so emotional and it affects our communications all the time.  For years he's told me to listen to his words.  He says that he chooses certain words to mean certain things and that's exactly -- no more, no less -- what he means.  I've tried.  I really have tried.  But every word in our language has a certain connotation, a certain nuance, and when he says one thing I can usually think of several things that he could mean without my even trying.


I've learned he usually means it in the sweetest or most complementary manner so that's the interpretation I usually presume.


Usually.


Not always though.  Sometimes, when I'm feeling particularly emotional for some reason or another, I become convinced that he meant one of the other nine things his words could have meant.  That's usually when he starts looking for a brick wall to beat his head against.


Of course, with age supposedly comes wisdom.  But I don't know about that.  The older I get the more emotional I become.  Usually that's a good thing, especially when I have a man who is so wonderful to me.  He really leaves no room for doubt whatsoever that I am thoroughly loved.  And usually the way he treats me is sufficient inoculation against the myriad of ways what he says could be taken.


Usually.


And when it's not, he has gotten a lot better about understanding where I'm coming from.  He seems to have learned that my emotionalism is something reason just can't make sense of but must just be accepted.  I guess it's only logical to admit that the emotionalism of women is part of what makes us so intriguing to our men.  


As long as they have a brick wall nearby on which they may take out their frustrations.  Anyone know where I can get a portable brick wall?


Copyright © 2011 Denise Duggan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment.