Friday, June 17, 2011

The Mess


Writing Prompt: No matter how much you clean, the house is always a mess.


My house has stayed relatively clean this week.  It’s actually quite soothing to walk in and see things in their place.  It has actually been relaxing to come home from work and see there is not a big pile of everything everywhere.


To get this clean house, I had to send the kids away.  They are off visiting family in South Carolina.  Thanks to Facebook and instant messenger and texting, it feels like they are only across town.  My sister rocks at making sure I know what they are doing.  I do not doubt her abilities at all.  In fact, if there is anyone I trust completely with my kids, it’s my kid sister.  


Of course it’s different from seeing them every day.   For the next two weeks they will be in South Carolina and my house will be clean.


Mind you, I still have to pick up a bit here and there after King Charming.  But he actually does a pretty good job of picking up after himself.  No worse than my Daddy.  Mom says she could tell where Dad had been by following the trail of socks and stuff through the house.  It must be a guy thing.


That is the crux of the problem, after all.  I gave birth to sons and guys being guys, the house gets messy.  I guess it would be too much trouble to take the cheese wrapper that you just had in your hand while making the sandwich, turn, take two steps, and throw it in the garbage can.  Why do that when it is so much easier to leave it on the counter?  There’s a house fairy that comes and cleans up after all the men in the house, right?


Yeah, it’s called Mom.


But for two glorious weeks they won’t be home and my house will be clean.


And quiet.


Too quiet.


Too clean.


No matter how much you clean the house is always a mess when boys live there.  But while they are gone my heart is a mess.  I think I prefer the messy house.



Copyright © 2010 Denise Duggan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment.